Successful Solution Overview
Intel-Portwell Co-Work Proof-of-Concept
Revealed at the National Retail Federation Convention (NRF) in New York, Intel's proof-of-concept exhibits the latest in digital signage and point-of-sale technology in a kiosk form factor, and demonstrates how technology can enhance the retail shopping experience.
Accommodating consumer preferences for self-service fueled by e-commerce trends, the kiosk demonstration includes features that match the perks of Internet shopping, such as suggestive selling real-time inventory access, as well as showing promotions, product details and customer reviews. These features, in turn, facilitate sales associate up-selling and cross-selling opportunities, which will increase a retailer's bottom line and customer loyalty.
The POS demo is based on the very popular and energy-efficient 45nm Intel® Core™2 Duo mobile processor. Compared with legacy POS platforms, the processor in the demo can enable more than a 70 percent reduction in required power use while still providing as much as double the amount of raw processing performance as previous generations of processors.1 As such, energy savings from this POS system are passed on to retailers by way of lower energy bills.
Based on the Intel Reference Design, the Portwell PEB-9737VGA micro ATX board complete the solution without incurring high design costs. The Portwell PEB-9737VGA equipped with several technical features important to POS solution:
- Module design allows easy, cost efficient replacement of main board in store to shorten system down time.
- Latest DDR3 Technology with lower working voltage and high density for more memory upgrade requirement.
- HDMI port brings cost effective and easy to use for large size LCD connection with multimedia applications.
- On board power USB connector (12V and 24V) brings flexible and easy use of POS peripheral connection.
- Proprietary golden finger for external SATA and LVDS signal connection. Optional extension board to offer more possibility for different using environment.